Tuesday 21 August 2012

My top ten Favourite Games (old)

Inspired by a Twitter trending topic earlier today I decided to think up and post my top ten games however this proved to be more difficult than I first thought. Only two games immediately popped into my head (the first two in this list) and it took me a good few hours of thinking to get the rest down. Out of the many many games I've played I've never really thought that many of them were my favourite games.

When trying to construct this list I had a lot of games in my mind to which I thought "yeah, I COULD have this game in my top ten I guess" But if I'm thinking about a game with such half-heartedness it doesn't really deserve to be on here. So after my deliberation and crossing outs, here are my top ten favourite games of all time...



The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
My personal favourite Zelda game and my top game of all time. Pretty much everything about this game I love, the masks, the characters, the three day cycle, the story and the temples. Everything is set up just right and in such a great way. I find myself coming back to this game at least once a year to just play through, no matter how busy I am. In fact, I might pop it in sometime soon. Also, it has the best moon in gaming.

Persona 3
I only managed to complete this game just a few short months ago however as soon as I finished watching the credits I knew this was going to be making this list. Even after a couple of months to think it over my reaction is the same as when I just finished it. The thing that makes this game so appealing to me is sewn right into the core mechanics. The fact that you have to make friends with people to become stronger and the social links in general I find to be a fantastic concept. I love pretty much all the characters and while some are a bit underdeveloped I still think they are some of my favourite characters across all of the games I've played.

Resident Evil 4
Another game I was late to the party on. I only picked this game up for the first time on the Wii when that port came out, not really having known about it before. As soon as that village scene finished and the game's title came up on screen I knew I was in love with this game. Loved every thing about this game and think it pulled off some great scares as well as some great action and combat.

inFamous 2
The most recent game on this list but still deserves a high spot. This is one of those games where I could run around for ages just messing around, not really doing anything. Everything about the gameplay just feels spot on, the movement, the powers, the climbing, it all felt fun just to do that it could have had a awful story and I would still love it. However it had a pretty good one of those too.

Banjo Kazooie
The very first game I got on my N64 and still my favourite platformer to this day. Such was the power of Rareware back in the N64 days that they could pretty much clone Mario 64 and still produce an amazing game full of humour, great characters and tight gameplay.

Pikmin 2
I remember the first Pikmin blowing me away when I first got it back in 2003 or so however there were a few problems I had with it. Those problems were taken out in 2 and so it became a favourite of mine very quickly. I love just spending a day wandering around and making a few more Pikmin or just exploring the world and the captains, running for all the dangers there were in that world.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
A game that combines great RPG mechanics, great humour, a good story and paper? Yeah I thought the concept was pretty amazing too. It's a good thing the game held up and was a treat to play from start to finish. The puzzle that came with the whole paper mechanic were great to see and watching as Mario turned sideways and became invisible was great and seeing him fold himself into a paper airplane is still a treat to watch.

Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
Not my first Pokemon game and not my last but certainly my favourite. Not a game in the series since has managed to capture me as much as these did. The 'mon were great, the new region was great and getting to go back and visit Kanto from the first game, seeing how it had changed made it an amazing experience from start to finish. The day and night mechanic (that was removed from Ruby/Sapphire for some reason) was great too, I'll never forget when I managed to get my Eevee to evolve into an Umbreon.

Mass Effect 2
The middle entry in the sci-fi RPG/Action series and by far the greatest. You had a great squad of characters, great combat (love those biotics) and, most importantly, a great story. It was the first game for a long time (well since the first actually) that had managed to capture my interest and keep me entertained throughout it's single player and as soon as the credits rolled I started a new character to see what the different choices would lead to. You know you love a game when you start it as soon as you stop.

Ghost Trick
The last game on this list but certainly not the least. I was half forced into buying this game by a friend but when I started playing and got to grips with the mechanics I was hooked. I could not stop playing until my battery had died. The story, setting, characters, gameplay and mechanics were all spot on, I can not find a fault with this game at all except maybe it's length (I want more dammit!). If you have a DS or an iPhone/pop you owe it to your gaming side to play this game.




And that's it! Thanks for reading that wall of text. An honourable mentions goes to The Walking Dead game by Telltale Games. If it was finished (and if the remaining three episodes were as great as the first two) it would most definitely have a spot on this list. Until then though, these are my top ten games of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment